Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Letting go of lies, holding on to truths

Lately I've been thinking about how the devil tries to divide and conquer God's people. What does that really look like? To me it seems like it would be very obvious, where you can see the breaking point and know what exactly changed course. But I'm beginning to realize that our enemy is much too sly and clever for such an open attack.

"Your enemy the devil prowls like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." 1 Peter 5:8

Perhaps division comes from believing one small lie. Something that seems very plausible ('You shouldn't say anything because you don't want to receive undo attention') or even half true ('They don't fully understand what you're going through').

We begin to dwell on that lie, thinking that it's true, that our fellow sisters/brothers might not be fully for us, and it soon the lie becomes a "truth" we believe. Slowly we withdraw, we begin to doubt the faithfulness of friends, the sincerity of those nearest to us, and completely ignore the outer circle of sisters/brothers. Before we know it, we are isolated, making ourselves prime targets for direct blows from Satan.

"Keep falsehoods and lies far from me." Proverbs 30:8

We need to take action against this form of attack. Find Scripture that will expose the lie, and fill it's place with truth.

"For your love is ever before me, and I walk continually in your truth." Psalm 26:3

Perhaps my fellow believers might not fully understand my hardships, nor maybe I might not tell them everything, but they can still help me all the same.

"Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2

No comments: