Saturday, June 21, 2008

10 ways (plus 1) that we're going green

I've been trying to help our family become more green and earth friendly over the past couple of months. It's surprising how easy it is to be green when you put in a little effort. However, I will say that so far the most challenging thing I've faced is being unable to go "all-green" all at once. My personality tends to be an extremist. I like it full tilt or not at all. But this whole green thing does take time to ease into, at least for our family. If it were just me, I'm sure I'd abandon everything, buying only earth friendly things and live in a tent. Since I need to be mindful of showing grace to Jonathan and Fletcher while we transition we're doing things slowly. Ultimately we're getting there and that in of itself is awesome.

So here are the ways we've gone green thus far:

1. Personal reusable shopping bags. Wal-Mart has these really nice black simple bags that are made out of recycled material. They hold a ton of stuff (I have four and that's all I need for all my groceries - and then I normally just need 2, maybe 3), are washable and when folded up, one fits nicely in my purse so I always have one on me.

2. No more 'poo. Thanks to Ambre I have gone head first (pun intended) into the world of no shampooing. Instead I've begun doing a baking soda wash with an apple cider vinegar rinse about every 3-4 days. This is going into my second week, so I'm still working out the kinks, but so far I'm really loving the results. I got the majority of my info from this site.

3. No more paper towels. It seems like our household goes through paper towels like water. So week before last I announced at dinner that I would not be buying anymore paper towels. Needless to say there were shock waves that came over Jonathan and Fletcher. They have been conserving our last roll like it's precious jewels and it's lasted us almost two weeks! Amazing. Now, in place of the paper towels I have gotten 36 hand clothes. They are conveniently placed in the kitchen so the guys will know right where they are and will use them for all their previous paper towel needs. Realizing that there will be times that we need paper towels (for large parties and such) I'm going to buy them on a 1 roll as needed basis, going with Seventh Generation from Hy-Vee or New Pi.

4. Enjoy the heat! I am NOT one for hot weather. Sure, sure, I'm a Texan and so therefore should be completely use to heat. Wrong. I would much rather never sweat, never be "overheated" and enjoy the comfort of cool weather (mid-60's to 70's would be ideal). But, we've started leaving our windows open and running the ceiling fans to circulate cool air. However, I will say that the last two days have been too hot for me and so I've been running the A/C, just at a much higher setting than in the past.

5. Recycle, reuse. Perhaps because I am a snob, I was never one for recycling and NEVER one for reusing. But, I've buckled down and started to do both. And you know what, it's pretty sweet. We throw away a lot less trash and I really feel like I'm doing something good for the environment.

6. Homemade toothpaste. Again, like the 'no pooing this is a work in progress. My reasoning behind it is similar to no 'poo; healthier, better for the environment, cheaper, etc. You use baking soda and salt as the two main cleaning/abrasive agents. You can either add in extracts for flavoring or just do the plain and simple version. There are other methods to making your own dry cleaners, or to making an actual paste. Merely for the ease of it all, I'm sticking with the baking soda/salt combo, doing a hydrogen peroxide mouth rinse. It's not the best tasting stuff, but it's working. I'm thinking of adding in cinnamon since the bs/s/hp doesn't leave me with a I-just-brushed-my-teeth fresh breath feel I like.

7. Homemade soap. I did some research on making your own soap in order to get the right cleansing agents for your type body. I got an olive oil base glycerin that works great for most everyone's skin and some lavender essential oil (which acts as an astringent and supposedly calms and relaxes you). You can buy everything at Hobby Lobby for under $20 and it works great and smells really good.

8. Join a CSA. CSAs allow you to buy your produce straight from local farms. By doing this, you not only support local farms, but you cut down on emissions emitted into the air from trucks driving your food from one side of the country to another. Plus, your food is fresh, organic and yummier.

9. Buy energy efficient appliances. Since the beginning of the year we've purchased an energy efficient washer, dryer and dish washer. Both washers are "smart washers" which means they sense how much water is needed to clean the dishes or clothes and use only the amount of water necessary to get the job done. The dryer does something similar, which is nice because it usually dries a full load in under 30 minutes.

10. Buy good-for-the-earth cleaning products, or make them yourself. See my post, Green clean.

11. Cloth diapers. So I did it. We've purchased our trial set of cloth diapers for Julia. In a few short days I will be washing all her poo. Yeah! For those of you wanting to do some cloth diaper research, check out Green Mountain Diapers. The site is run by a Christian SAHM and it is by far the best site I've found yet.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go, Sarah! I am trying very hard not to envy your energy efficient appliances! I visited the diaper site and liked what i saw. I'm going to watch your experience for now while I talk with Erik about the switch and save up some pennnies!

Anonymous said...

Sweet! I know what you mean about the "all or nothing" mentality. Mike was gracious enough to let me just get rid of all our old cleaning supplies when I switched to my homemade stuff, which I really appreciated.
We haven't had paper towels in forever, and I'm pretty sure we have the same pack of napkins that we had when we moved to Iowa City. I like using cloth napkins alot. If you really want to jump in all the way, there's a blog I read that switched to "family cloth" instead of toilet paper. I'd totally do it, but my sweet hubby thinks that's taking it too far :)

Anonymous said...

PS- I was so excited that we switched to non-disposable at church. I had been talking to Mike about that for a long time, because the amount of trash we produced every Sunday was really bothering me. Thanks for taking the initiative!!!

andy said...

wow sarah impressive! my mom is ALL about everything you said- you guys would have a fun conversation about it. i love all that stuff too- i haven't been as creative as you- but i love doing all those fun organic/earth friendly things..

Miss Mommy said...

I heard you were going green...you remember you're from TX, right? We don't do green... :)

I went to your hair place (a bunch of us have been now!)and it is QUITE the story! Get one of the girls to tell you next play group!!!