Monday, April 02, 2007

Eat mor chikin

I love Iowa. I have been here just over two years now, and would rate Iowa City as my second favorite place I have ever lived. And for those of you who know my love of Texas, that's saying a lot. However, there are a few things that I just can't get adjusted to. Like, having people get upset when I say ma'am/sir. Or not understanding me when I say I want a coke (ok, ok, I'll give that one to you Iowans, "coke" can be confusing). Or looking at me funny when I say I'm having meat and two for lunch. But what pains me the most is not having good ol' fashioned southern food. Sure, I cried myself to sleep when I realized that Hy-vee wasn't HEB. And then again when I realized I would have to drive for an entire day, literally, to eat at the best taco shack known to man. But about two months ago, a glimmer of silver lining came streaking into my world.

Chicken like you have never tasted is coming to Coral Ridge Mall. Chik-fil-A happens to be one of my all time favorite places to eat. I would pass up a steak dinner, homemade pie and tea just for a bite of Chick-fil-A. Yes, yes, that seems quite extreme, but oh man, is it worth every warm and buttery bite.

And the best part of all: the creater/owner is a Christian. Truett Cathy is a hardcore Baptist who believes his store exists "to glorify God by being a faithful steward of all that is entrusted to us and to have a positive influence on all who come in contact with Chick-fil-A". Yep, that's pretty sweet stuff right there. Also, as a means to further my love of this chicken place, they are closed on Sundays to allow their employees "an opportunity to worship, spend time with family and friends or just plain rest from the work week".

The store opens up at the Mall on April 19th. I regret to say that Jonathan and I won't be here for the grand opening. Although we did consider coming back two days early from our trip just to be the first in line.

Yep, I love me some chikin.

6 comments:

emily said...

Can I just say that I loved this post! Being an Iowan at heart and now living in TX, I completely know what you are talking about! Expect I'm on the other end. I'm hearing it all around me and I didn't understand what people are saying! Now I do!! AND I had my first Chik-fil-a right when I moved down here to Austin. It is my FAVORITE!!! I was excited to hear that one is coming to IC. That is really exciting!!! Can I just say too, that I am in love with breakfast tacos!? I love them!!!

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I'll have to check them out now, I've never had their food before. I gotta say though, I was pretty bummed to see that The Bread Garden packed up all their tuscan tomato soup moved out of that spot.

But I also heard that Don Miller spoke at chik-fil-a's annual business conference, so now I really have to check it out. Don Miller endorsed chicken must be spectacular!

Anonymous said...

La Reyna on Keokuk St. is supposed to be to-die-for authentic Mexican. Maybe you will find your local taco nirvana there.

-Alicia S.

Sarah said...

Emily - I'm soooo happy you like Chik-fil-A. Oh man, I ate at the one on campus seriously everyday. So goooood. And what do you think of Taco Cabana?? Good stuff, huh?

Alicia - I'll have to check that place out. I must say I'm a snob when it comes to Mexican food. I've had it like 4 times here in Iowa and have only really liked one place, and only when it's doused in hot sauce.

Anonymous said...

Josh would totally agree with Alicia, I mean, the restaurant is right in the grocery store, can't beat that! He couldn't stop raving about their food. :)!

The McCains said...

Totally love Chik-fil-a as well. Sooo good. The fact that we will have one here is not good news for my wallet or my scale :) I've never heard of La Reyna but I'll definitely be checking it out. I love mexican! (why are all the foods I love really fattening!?!)