Thursday, March 15, 2007

It's in the peanut butter

I'm a snob, I admit it.

Over the last few months I have morphed into a food snob. I've exchanged all my regular flour for non-bleached, non-processed flour. I scrutinize the sugar, meat, eggs, and most importantly, peanut butter.

Last summer, I started thinking more about partially hydrogenated soybean oil. It turns up in everything. It's not the best thing we could be putting in our bodies, so I've started making the slow process of de-hydrogenating my foods. Peanut butter was the first to change.

I love peanut butter. I could seriously have it on anything (crackers, celery, chocolate, bread, apples, oranges, ice cream, chicken, etc), or just eat it by itself. So last year I bought my first jar of organic peanut butter (which is just peanuts and salt). Can I just tell you, I was in heaven. Sure, it's not quite as smooth as Jiffy, but man it is thick and good. It makes eating my pb&j sandwiches the highlight of my afternoon. The one teeny-tiny draw back is that it is so darn expensive.

Earlier this week, as I was making my sandwich for lunch, I thought "Oh, man, we're running low on peanut butter. I really wish it wasn't so expensive so I didn't feel guilty about buying it". *Note: Jonathan and I are taking a Dave Ramsey course at church, so my mind it on 'good deal' over load. $4 for peanut butter = not a good deal! So, as I'm laminating the idea of ever having to give up my beloved au'natural peanut butter, I said a prayer that went something like "God, You know I really like my peanut butter, lots. But it is so expensive! Lord, please provide me with the means to continue eating my peanut butter."

Last night my life group joined up with Amanda's to watch a movie. As we were all getting settled, Leah asked me to come into the the kitchen. When I got in there, she handed me my first birthday present of the year (I'm coming up on my golden birthday on the 25th, for those of you who might not know). I opened it up and lo and behold, it was organic peanut butter!!! Apparently, Leah had picked up the jar for me at Tate's some time back with the intent to give it to me for my birthday! How awesome is that??

So, there you have it, the Lord really does take notice of the little things in our lives. Even the peanut butter.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah for peanut butter!
~L

Unknown said...

How does one laminate an idea?

I mean...I love you.

Anonymous said...

yay- that is a cool story :)

Sarah said...

Oh, Amanda, what am I to do with you?

And laminating is quite easy. You just take your idea, write it down and then cover up in plastic. Maybe next time I might lament. ;)

Leslie said...

Hey Sarah,

That is a sweet story.. you may also be in luck in April, April is National Organics Month, and you can call 1-866-I-GO-ORGA and ask for a coupon book - (packet of coupons for organics from many different manufacturer)!

Maybe it will have a coupon for some organic peanut butter :)

Their site: http://www.organicearthday.org/