Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A post away from the norm

I don't usually voice my political opinions. There are several reasons for this, but mostly I've come to realize that they are, after all, only opinions, and therefore shouldn't be argued over. I surprise myself by saying that, given how outspoken I was during college, but a lot has changed in the last 3 years.

However, every now and again I come across something that demands my attention and voice. An article that I read today in the Sojourners Magazine really spoke to me. It was from their November 2006 issue, entitled "Hearts & Minds: Who Will Protect Us From Him?".

The article touches on a lot of questions I've had over the last 5+ years. It really made me beg the question "How wrong are we"? I don't really care who is for or against our current administration, there is nothing we can do about that for another year. What I do care about is how we are damaging our faith by having a skewed view of God. In Christianity there are rights and there are wrongs. The same holds true in an ethically moral world. But can we really say we are absolutely right and someone else is absolutely wrong? Can we really say that God is on our side 100%? I don't really think so.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a good article. I would agree that it is not possible, nor is it wise to assert that our decisions are right 100%. We are, after all, sinful humans and that sinful nature affects everything we do. We are not inherently "good" just because we're Americans. In fact, one could argue that there's much more inherent "evil" in the American life than good.
It's a fine line to walk as a President- I mean who wants a wishy washy President, but at the same time, there needs to be room for humility as well.

Sarah said...

Alicia, I agree with you, it's a fine line to walk as President. It seems like we can look at history and pick out these amazing men who seemed to really stand firm, but showed some humility, and even then they still got it wrong.

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

There is not a day that goes by when I do not smile at the admiration I have for you. Today, however, my heart is smiling even more.
Thank you for this post, and for you.