Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Pneumonia, shots and sounds from the diaper

Last week I took Julia to the doctor. She had gotten sick over the weekend and by Monday had a pretty bad cough. The doctor said she had bronchitis, sent us home with some medicines and said it should clear up soon. By Thursday we were back in the office, this time to hear that Julia had pneumonia. Is it just me, or is that a big illness for such a little girl? I have to say, it's pretty tough seeing your baby being sick. It's heart breaking, really. We spent the weekend in quarantine, and when I took her back yesterday, things seem to be on the up and up. They gave her her two month shots, which went surprisingly well.

Last night I made sort of a personal vow. A vow to lighten up and stop being so stinkin' proud. I'm a proud person, a stubborn person, and it can make for a really tough time of things. So, I need to really lighten up. Get off my high horse and realize that this world isn't perfect, I'm not perfect and I need to focus on the good things. With that being said, here are the "lighter" things about having a sick daughter.

1. The antibiotics Jules has been on cause gas. Let me tell you what, I have never, ever heard such loud noise come from such a small bottom. It sounds like several bombs going off. And then to see her face afterward.... priceless.

2. Did you know poop turns green when you take certain antibiotics? Well, it does. At least in an infant. Several times, to my surprise, Julia's diapers would come out green. A little shocking to say the least.

3. Is that a soldier I see? No, no, it's just Julia wear a gas mask. Actually, it was a nebulizer, but it reminded me of the gas masks from WWII. Now, if I can just teach her to army crawl.

4. One thing that makes me laugh more than anything else: When she's about to have a breakdown, she starts sticking out her bottom lip, makes this really mad/sad face and then lets it all go. I have to admit, it's pretty funny. It's almost as though she's throwing a tantrum, without the kicking... just the screaming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray for green poop! I have found that grape juice and colored animal crackers have the same affect in toddlers. Priceless!

Also, I just now totally remembered this same thing happening to Zeke when he was 4 mo old in January. It was the same thing where we went to the doctor once and they said bronchitis and then went back a few days later and they said pneumonia. I remember feeling like the worst mom on the face of the planet but God and Josh kept telling me not to fear but to trust.

But I tell you what, nothing makes me smile more than the sounds of baby gas! Great way to lighten up!

Kara Mann said...

Girl, Fletcher told us about Julia's run in with pneumonia. I have been thinking about you! I am so glad you are on the back end of it and it wasn't as bad as it could have been! I can't even imagine how hard that was! Love the pooting stories! Thats funny stuff!! ;-)