Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Once upon a time...

... in a land far, far away, there lived a woman who was half crazy. One day she decided that in order to grow to know her Lord just a little bit better she would cut off all modern forms of communication (or just the internet). And so for 40 days she ignored the computer. Now, at the end of her sentence she has come to the conclusion that a) the world does go on without you, b) you can have a small child and read books, c) she is still crazy, but hopefully a little wiser.

It's been a while. At the beginning of April I had a serious heart check about my life/time and where I put my hope. I realized I was more concerned with who posted on my facebook wall and who did or didn't leave comments on my blog then I was about how much time I spent with God. I saw in myself a person who had become so wrapped up in herself I couldn't go more than a few hours without logging on. So, I cut the cords. I took a drastic (for me) measure and logged off for a while. And it's been good. I've learned a lot about myself, that I can start and complete a task, and that God gives us way more grace than we deserve.

Alrighty, I suppose I can do a quick update on all things Windham. Julia turns a whopping 6 months on this Friday! I just can't even grasp it. She's now been introduced to rice cereal and sweet peas. Sweet peas did not go over very well at first, but now she opens her mouth up super wide when she sees the spoon. Of course, half the food ends up running down her chin, but we're backing progress.

Speaking of other Julia-progressions, she is now sitting up. She started right before she turned 5 months old. She would sit up for about a minute doing what I call the 'gorilla stance' - where the babe uses their hands to hold themselves steady; it looks like a gorilla to me. But at the beginning of May she started sitting upright. She's doing really well, and tends to only fall over when she's sleepy or irritated. And luckily she hasn't hurt herself too bad... just once when she flung herself back on the wood floors in our kitchen.

We're starting house church at our house this weekend. I'm really excited. These means I will actually be able to stay for the duration of church now! We rearranged the down stairs to accommidate for a sitting room and I must say it looks pretty sweet. I might just start spending more time down here.

Jack got a shock collar. Sounds worse than it really is. He has just kinda gone crazy with barking and running off, so we bought a shock collar that he wears every time we let him outside. I've used it once. He hasn't really barked outside since. Apparently, it's pretty effective.

Well, that's about it in a nut shell. I'm sure there's more that I could write, but I'll save it for later.

5 comments:

The McCains said...

Welcome back!! I'm thinking I should follow in your footsteps with the online thing.
My one question is- how did you make sure you were in the loop with church stuff (like meals and service projects, etc.) Also- how did you make sure that people weren't emailing you and just thinking you were really rude for not replying for over a month? (ok two questions) These are things that hold me back and become justifiers not to take the plunge. Although right now, with working, I could never fully take the plunge. I'd probably get fired :)

Sarah said...

Answer #1: Jonathan told me what I needed to know, most of the time. Although it was not a fail proof plan, since he isn't as meticulous as me and we more than once dropped the ball of some things (like taking dessert instead of side dish last Sunday). Also, Gmail (and Outlook too) have vacation responders that you can set up. Mine just simply said "I'll be unavailable until such and such a day". However, Jonathan said that the subject was the only thing he ever received when he emailed me and not actually the body of the message, which would have been more helpful for people. Outlook does a better job than Gmail, I think. Yeah, and with a job it'd be really hard, so I'm not so sure what you'd do there.

Kara Mann said...

OK, so Ave is months 5 now and still not sitting up on her own, she is ALMOST there, so yesterday I was sitting in the floor with her and I said " Now Avery, Im just going to throw this out there, you can do what you want with it but... JULIA is already sitting up on her own.....Im just saying, Julia has been sitting up for quite some time now, use that how ever you want.ok?" LOL! H said Im going to make her competitive! LOL!

Sarah said...

Hahaha, Kara that's too funny! I'll have to remind Julia that Avery has two teeth now so she needs to start working on hers. And remind Hillman there's nothing wrong with a little healthy competition. :)

andy said...

sarah- good to see you yesterday! i found your blog from emily ward's! :)
i wanted to tell you also that i stopped my facebook account too- it can get so overwhelming all the things online- i was encouraged by your post about it all!
hope to see you around again soon!
jamie k.