Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cha-ching!

Sometimes I wish I was more frugal. That's not to say that I spend money like a crazy woman, but I don't cut coupons or actively search out good deals. Take clothes shopping. I'm not a super big fan of shopping, so if I find something I like and it's on sale, I'll buy it. However, Jonathan wants to make sure that he is getting the absolute best deal. If there are a pair of jeans for $2 less at another store, he will get those - even if they aren't his favorite brand/color/best size. Me, I don't really care all that much. I just want in and out as fast as possible.

This last weekend, my friend, Leah, sent out a coupon for $1 off organic canned tomatoes. This particular brand is at Wal-Mart for $1.49, but, this month the co-op had them on sale for $1.29 (normally $2.29) - since the co-op runs their sales on a monthly basis (1st-30/31st) I sometimes forget their prices. So, this afternoon I ate lunch at the co-op with Jonathan and saw that the cans were an even better deal there with my coupon than at Wal-Mart. I didn't have the coupons on me, so decided to come back after Julia woke up from her afternoon nap.

I printed off 19 coupons (random number - I thought I had done 20) and went to pick up eggs, milk, yogurt and my discounted cans.

I must admit I felt a little weird with so many cans and using so many coupons. Not sure why, just like I was putting out the cashier or what not. But, the end result was worth it.

19 cans of organic diced tomatoes not on sale - $43.51

19 cans of organic diced tomatoes on sale - $24.51

19 cans of organic diced tomatoes on sale with coupon - $5.51

Total money saved - $38

Sarah's new found joy of saving money - Priceless

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love coupons! good work!

Anonymous said...

i love a good deal as well! jason and I were just talking last night of what we might do if we suddenly found ourselves "coming into money"- not that we are planning on it... just a "what if". he had all these plans and ideas, I told him I would still garage sale because I would find some good deals! :)
~L